Tuesday, August 27, 2013

VILLERS ABBEY

The last time I had been in the Abbey of Villers-la-Ville was in 2008 and I wrote about it here.

Villers Abbey is an ancient Cistercian abbey located in the town of Villers-la-Ville in the Walloon Brabant province of Wallonia, one piece of the Wallonia's Major Heritage. Founded in 1146, the abbey was abandoned in 1796.

Meanwhile the Province of Wallonia has realized that they have a hidden treasure here and started to renovate and made a real tourist site out of it. Now you have headphones, explanations at each ruin and a map to guide you, in French, Dutch, German and English. The entrance fee has increased a little but is still affordable for everybody. ( 5 €, 7 $)

So I take you through the ruins to give you an idea of what you see.



This is a picture to show you the whole site.



and your guide



The refectory where the monks had their meals



The church



We met a group of young students who made a theatre play in the ruins







an old grave

























The bishops residence



and his garden



and a beautiful park all around. There is also a place for picnics with benches and tables.

The ruins are also used for theatre plays, for sound and light concerts, and other activities.

14 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a very beautiful old place it is! I love to tour places like this, for it gives me a better idea of history than any books or reading possibly could do.

That tour guide looks like a lot of fun! If I were ever lucky enough to be there, I hope I'd get her as a guide ;>))~=! Thanks Gattina -- I really enjoyed the post.

Mascha said...

Greateful!
Thanks for sharing :-)

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of the ruins are just amazing! So beautiful.

Jim said...

Great.

Indrani said...

Amazing place! I missed it during my tour.

DawnTreader said...

I'd love to spend a day with the camera there :)

Fun60 said...

What a beautiful ruin. You have taken some excellent photos. I love the angles you have used.

Unknown said...

What a great place!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Cynthia said...

I enjoyed the virtual tour. Such a serene, peaceful place!

Beppan said...

Thank you for a very interesting guiding tour! And for sharing this fantastic photos!!

Sylvia K said...

What an awesome historic place! And so beautiful! Your captures are superb, Gattina! Fascinating history! I really enjoyed the tour you've taken us on!! Thanks for sharing these!! Hope your week is off to a great start!

Anonymous said...

It's the kind of place I like to visit. It reminds me of ancient splendor and old enchanted times...

Sandra Carlier said...

The perfect place to turn a movie, a thriller through the ruins for example! This is a marvelous place and I had great great time visiting it!

eastcoastlife said...

What an awesome find! I love to visit places like this.

Hope you are having a wonderful time in Amsterdam. Can't wait to see the photos. :)

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive