Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Brussels Christmas market

Last week I went to the yearly Christmas market in Brussels. It is quite big, more than 2 km (1.2 miles) long and has 240 stands.



My friend and I started at the Grand'Place where the tradional Christmas tree was standing. This year it came from Germany, is 240 m (787 ft) high and 7 m (23) large. It's all decorated in blue and looks very beautiful when it is dark






The gold on the buildings were shining in the sun !





The nativity scene with human sized figures and one real sheep, but it slept in the corner.



The stalls started at "La Bourse" which is the Brussels" stockmarket building





taken over from Germany, the Glühwein, a hot red wine with spices







a better view on "La Bourse"



the other part of the market was a little further on across a boulevard



of course we stopped at many stalls. There were such nice things to see.



I had fun of taking a picture of myself



and my friend, in the mirror where we finally bought warm gloves



She was also hesitating to buy a warm knitted bonnet



gift ideas for everybody



and this sweet "cotton" to eat



You could also ride on this geant wheel



or do some ice skating





Poor woman was just eating



an enormous variety of sausages !



I got also hungry and ate a "Tartiflette", (potatoe slices, with smoked ham cubes and cheese)



Ilona looked at an American Native's stall



There also was a huge elephant



and a large choice of candles







certainly enough to eat for everybody's taste



and the Lion at "La Bourse" was wondering what happened here.

19 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Wow! What a fun, holiday place to go, Gattina! Love all your photos! I felt as though I had been there with you!!

Have a wonderful week and a very Merry Christmas!

Sylvia

LadyFi said...

Fantastic market - and I love all those impressive buildings... All you need now is some snow....

Rajesh said...

Such a beautiful place to shop around. There seems to be everything in the market for all ages kids to elders. Lovely architecture around the market.

Indrani said...

Such lovely shots, great festive mood all around. A Merry Christmas to you.

Loree said...

Brussels is very beautiful. I so envy you being able to visit Christmas markets. I got hooked on them in Vienna and wish we could get something like that over here.

Anonymous said...

You are such a ham LOL and so cute :) I love these pictures. thanks for sharing these my friend. I love your world :) Happy Holidays to you and your family my friend :)

Vlado&Toni said...

interesting to see another Christmas market from a different country..you sure do have other things on sale than here and i think the food is different too..but the same thing for everyone - it lets you spend some euros :)

diane b said...

What a huge market with so much to see and try. Love the pic of you and friend in the mirror all wrapped up to keep warm.

Melli said...

NOTHING like this do we have in America! At least not near here! Oh HOW I would LOVE this! Shops on the street and warm drinks and hot dishes! Mmmm! THIS makes shopping FUN! And I LOVE your little tam on your head! You are sO cute!

Dirkjogt said...

My post this week is also at the Christmas market, but a small and very pleasant one.

Dr.John said...

What aq great market. Thanks for the tour.

storyteller said...

What a wonderful series of lovely pictures and holiday displays. Thanks for sharing. It looks pretty cold where you are so it's fun to see you bundled up. I shared My World later than usual this week due to Christmas 'stuph' and am playing 'catch up' today ... Wishing you and yours a joyous holiday ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

GMG said...

Hi Gattina! Wonderful pictures!! With such a clear sky it must have been freezing, if I know Brussels well... ;))

Blogtrotter is waiting for you in London! Enjoy and have a great holiday season!

MJ said...

Lovely photos...!

Have a wonderful holidays!

Greetings from Sweden with hugs

Khim

Cezar and Léia said...

Merry Christmas dear Gattina!
Thanks so much for this wonderful post!It's so nice walking through the streets in Brussels with you!The market is amazing and I specially liked the adorable crèche.
Much love and peace always my friend!
By the way, you look gorgeous in your pictures!:)
Léia

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I about the collection should prepare more info then it has.

The Colours of Life said...

lovely places, I guess, I have a tour on your place. Thanks and happy holidays...

Anonymous said...

What a colorful place to visit. I love it :) But I gotta ask you...weren't your fingers cold? I mean what happened to the whole glove? LOL. I love that picture of you eating the Tartiflette :) Sounds delish...

DianeCA said...

Hi! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! Sorry I haven't been too active. Life has been a bit too busy lately. I loved the pictures and it brought back such good memories. 2 years ago Renny and I were in Brussels at Christmas time and enjoyed the same market. It is an amazing city and one of my favorites to visit!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive