Tuesday, May 11, 2010

THE PARK OF LAEKEN (Brussels)

more participants here

When I tried to visit the Royal Greenhouses (see post below) I also walked through the Park of Laeken just on the other side of the Palace. On one side the park has a magnificent view of the city, on the other side an impressive view of the royal palace. It is quiet big, 26 hectares, 64 acres) and was created in the 19th century. It also had been used for the World Exhibition in 1958.

the plan

The momorial of Queen Astrid the actual King's mother who died in a car accident in Switzerland at the very early age of 30 years and left 3 small children behind

Neo-gothic Church of Our Lady. The church contains the royal crypt, where the members of the Belgian Royal Family are buried.

Monument of the dynasty, erected in memory of King Leopold I in front of the Royal Castle

View on the gates of the Royal Palace

Tourists watching the Palace

A view to the park

Beautiful flowers and trees

Nice to climb on

When it's warm people use to do picnics here

Amazing very old trees

From far a view on the Atomium

and on my way back I had to drive under it. It was packed with tourists.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this is just amazing. I love it all. Especially that last picture. Just awesome my friend.

RoeH said...

Great photos. Makes me wish I could just transport myself into them and be there.

Jim said...

Amazing place.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Unknown said...

amazing architecture. the trees and park are fabulous! thanks for sharing your world.

Loree said...

I would love to be able to just lie back on that nice green grass. It's all gone here already :( The atonium is quite spectacular. My parents had visited some years back.

LadyFi said...

What a great day at the park!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

What an astounding castle.

What was the police doing? Did you take your cat there when there is a sign saying No Pets!!! LOL

Rajesh said...

Beautiful park and Neo-gothic Church. The architecture of church is fabulous.

Wolynski said...

What a park - beautiful. As a child I used to see lots of photos of the Atomium. I forgot it existed until I saw your photo.

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the tour of the gardens, the church is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your world today!

Maribeth said...

Beautiful post. The Cathedral is lovely!

diane b said...

Thanks for a tour in your world. The church is beautiful. The gardens are lovely too.

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour chère Gattina!
wow amazing set of pictures, beautiful place and I would love to visit there someday, thanks for this clue.The park are fabulous with all beautiful green grass and I enjoyed a lot those lovely trees!
Your pictures are really wonderful, congratulations, you have perfect eyes to take beauty in your shots!
Hugs
Léia

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed your photos very much. Thank you Gattina, this is a beautiful place to visit.

Regina said...

Great place and captures Gattina.
Thank you for the tour.

Regrds.

Sylvia K said...

What a beautiful place! And your photos are fantastic! Thanks for such a great tour, Gattina! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Melli said...

That church looks to me like Cinderella's Castle at Disney World! It's gorgeous! And I am glad to see that sO many people keep an eye on the palace! Should ANYthing happen there will be LOTS of eye-witnesses!

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Lovely place, wonderful post!!

Sorry for the absence, but my computer broke down and I’ll be waiting a month for it to be fixed… ;-( Anyhow, I left you a post on the suburbs of Ephesus for you to enjoy. Have a great week!!

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Looks like a wonderful park to have a picnic in. I love that church and monument of the dynasty. Simply gorgeous!

Brett said...

great to see

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive