Tuesday, August 24, 2010

ARUNDEL SURROUNDINGS

more participants here

During my stay in Eastbourne we also went one day to Arundel

Before we arrived there we had a pic nic on the beach, where I found this interesting fishernet. Despite the wonderful weather there was not a soul at the beach and we had it all for us. I found shells and strange pebbles I had never seen in my life.

After our pic nic we arrived in Arundel which is a major bridging point over the River Arun, the lowest road bridge until the opening of the Littlehampton swing bridge in 1908.

We went to the Arundel Castle which was built by the Normans to protect that vulnerable point to the north of the valley through the South Downs. Unfortunately we didn't have time to visit it, it's just enormous ! You can better see it here. It only is 79 km (49 miles) from London.

It sits high on a hill and overlooks a beautiful green landscape

After a walk we arrived at

Swanbourne Lake was originally a millpond and situated in the grounds of Arundel Park which was painted by both Turner and Constable.

It is in a stunning location beneath Arundel Castle and the adjoining Castle Park, with wonderful walks and scenery across the South Downs.

Feeding swans and geese was especially fun for parents with little children

They were beautiful and there was a lot of them

But then we were hungry and thirsty and it was Tea time anyway. So when we saw the Swanbourne Lodge Tearoom, we didn't hesitate a second and went in.

Motor bikers enjoying an ice cream

The Swanbourne Tea Room inside, very cosy

but we sat outside and were waiting for our

Cream Tea, a speciality in this part of England. It was very long ago that I had eaten clotted cream, I think it had been in Germany when I was a child and lived with my Grandparents. After that, I had never seen it again. As you can see the portion was more then enough !

Then it was time to go back to Eastbourne

driving along this beautiful coast line

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a place. It is breathtaking. You took such good photos. Now I wanna go there. :)

Rajesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rajesh said...

Beautiful castle with awesome landscapes. Wonderful trip.

Shey said...

Wow! Lots of interesting places to discover & see. Looks like you had a very satisfying day for your eyes, heart & belly. :)

Unknown said...

this place is a gem! a stunning coastline, a castle, a pond and this quaint lodge. i love your photos. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous shots. I do like Arundel and the surrounding areas. That cream tea looks delicious.

Marina said...

It seems you had a wonderful trip!!!
I'll follow your blog to take some ideas for daily trips or vacations. After all we're so close...(for three years!)

Sylvia K said...

What a beautiful place! And what a wonderful trip! Looks like such fun! I love all your photos! Hope your week is off to a good start, Gattina, and that you get some warmer weather at least for a little while!

Sylvia

Maribeth said...

I have been there and even gone to that tea room! Oh how I love cream teas! YUM!

Marites said...

such a beautiful place! I would've loved exploring in and around it. The food looks yummy too. :)

Nessa said...

Wow. gorgeous pictures. Arundel is so pretty. Arundel would also be a good name for a story character.

That Cream tea looks very yummy.

Loree said...

I love all your photos with reminders of England. It is a place I love but have not had the time to visit for so long. I love the look of that castle too.

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Lovely grey skies...

Sorry for the rush!! I’ll be off for my official week holiday but Blogtrotter Two will be showing you the road to a wonderful setting: Costa Smeralda!! Enjoy, leave your comments and have a great weekend and week ahead!

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Wow! That coastline looks simply gorgeous! I wanna go there... *sigh*

...and I've never heard of clotted cream before - THAT I want to try!

claudie said...

I will have a look on wikipedia to know more about this cream! It looks really yummy!!!
The place looks very attractive!
Sounds we are in a film! The bridge, the castle, the teahouse and the park, all is really beautiful!!!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive