Monday, May 23, 2011

GRAND'PLACE BRUSSELS AND SURROUNDINGS

The easiest way to get to the Grand'Place in the center of Brussels is the train, as it is almost impossible to drive there and to find a parking space except in the official Parking buildings, but they are more expensive than a train ticket at least for me as a "Senior".

I had seen the scarecrow exposition (post below) and did a little walk around the Grand'Place before I returned home.

There is a new section of the Central station which leads you directly to the "Place Sablon" and the Grand Place.

It all had recently renovated

and enlarged. There are new shops and cafés. The extension is not so well known yet and therefore there weren't many people in this part of the station.

When I arrived at the Grand'Place it was packed with tourists !

and a wedding started at the City Hall. People living in Brussels itself the civil marriages are taking place in this beautiful building.

They are are allowed to wave from the Balcony as a Prince and Princess.

From the Grand Place I went to the Gallery Agora, which is just besides, I didn't need anything special, I just wanted to return

when this entrance draw my attention, I thought it was a new Nightclub, but no it was the entrance of the public restrooms ! Lots of people didn't dare to go inside, seeing two acquariums and such a nice decoration and asked where the toilets are, when I finally also noticed the sign WC above the door !

Coming out of the Gallery,

I arrived at the Agora Square where artcrafts, paintings, jewelry etc. is sold in these little red tents.

For the moment there are a lot of events in Brussels, I don't really know what they prepared here.

More participants here

19 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

So colorful and festive Gattina.
A nice way to spend the day

Sylvia K said...

Oh, I do agree!! Such a colorful and festive place it is! A fun place to spend the day indeed! I would love to wander around there! Terrific captures as always, Gattina! Hope you have a great week! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Francisca said...

What fun you had in the city I was born, Gattina! :-D

Al said...

Great tour! The Grand'Place looks amazing.

Margaret said...

Gattina, what a wonderful blog! I love Brussels! (And the rest of Belgium)

Karen said...

A great tour. Thanks for sharing.

Kay L. Davies said...

We were very impressed with the central train station, Gattina. I imagine people will soon discover how nice it is, and they'll fill it up!
I really enjoyed your photos!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Gledwood said...

I love that gothick Grand Place building... it reminds me somewhat of the British Houses of Parliament... in fact when I win 100 million euros on the lottery I'm thinking of getting my house to look like that...

Gledwood said...

ps i did take your advice and go down the park and saw some lovely tiny tits in the bushes (Blaumeisen: blue tits)(!!)

i've been feeling better ever since

pps the houses in that large square behind that girl in the wedding dress remind me very much of the townhouse i used to live in when i was a fully paid-up member of the bourgeoisie (some years ago)

;-)

LifeRamblings said...

a wonderful look at your world. the Grand'Place looks stunningly beautiful.

diane b said...

It looks a very exciting place. The old buildings are so ornate and magnificent while the new railway is ultra modern. It sure is a lovely city and thanks for showing me around. I feel like a tourist in my chair.

Anonymous said...

How nice! ireally want to come back to Belgium and this time I will make sure to visit Brussels!
Gracie

Maribeth said...

How wonderful! Seems there is always something wonderful happening in Brussels!

jabblog said...

What a lovely tour of Brussels! The station is marvellous - it looks so clean.

Unknown said...

what a magnificent building the Grand Palace is--no wonder it's a tourist destination. i love your street scenes--full of energy!

Loree said...

That building on Grand Place is absolutely gorgeous.

Hilda said...

Thank you for this wonderful tour, Gattina! Love the swirls and orange details of the central station, and the Grand Place is just magnificent! That's the prettiest entrance to toilets I have ever seen too. And I will definitely enjoy going around Agora Square.

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Sorry for the absence, but the season has been too busy here in Lisbon...

Fabulous square!! And the renovated galleries look great too!!

OK, I know Amsterdam is too boring for you, but Blogtrotter Two is now gone to Corsica... Enjoy and have a superb weekend. ;))

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Lovely walk around. I really liked how they've renovated that part of the station. Not only the bar chairs... *giggles*

I was just going to ask what the event was... Looks like a lot to explore really.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive