Tuesday, October 15, 2019

NORTHERN COUNTRIES TOUR - SALZBURG

When we arrived in the morning in Salzburg which translated means Salt Fortress, it was very hot already around 30°. Therefore I only discovered the "Altstadt", the old town of Salzburg with the house where Mozart was born, and the Mirabell palace with its wonderful park.

If you are interested in the history of Salzburg you can find it here

Our guide took us first to the house where Mozart was born. It was a quite big house which also was a museum. For those interested in music it was certainly worthwhile to see it from the inside.



I didn't because in this limited time I wanted to see other things. I noticed that the town was full of Mozart souvenirs on cups, plates etc the full marketing program and of course the famous "Mozartkugel"

A Mozartkugel, is a small, round sugar confection made of pistachio marzipan and nougat that is covered with dark chocolate. It was originally known as Mozart-Bonbon, created in 1890 by Salzburg confectioner Paul Fürst and named after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.


I wandered along the main street in the old city and admired the beautiful old houses all in pink colors, which looked so cheerful.

There was one boutique or shop of all kinds in this very long street, or maybe it seemed so long because of the increasng heat.





The name of the street was Getreidegasse,  no idea why it was named like this it means Croplane.

From time to time  I went into a souvenr shop to cool down, and rest at least inside the shops they had airconditoning.





I didn't buy anything there was nothing to my taste and the prices quite expensve.



From time to time there were these "tunnels" between the houses which led on parks or "Biergarten" which means Beergarden.



It was nice and cooler there and I wanted to have a drink but apparently I wasn't the only one the Biergarten was full. Besides was a market, which I overlooked, there were mostly vegetables.



and then I had enough,  I wanted to sit down, watch the people and have a cool drink. I found this nice restaurant just opposite the Mozart house which had an owl as sign. After my beer and a snack  had this wonderful Ice Coffee. Others from my group saw me sitting there and as there were some free seats, they almost fell on the chairs. We were exhausted from the heat, too much is too much. We came to the conclusion that from what we had seen of the city it was a real cozy little town, now it's not so little because there are many districts and we had only seen the old town.





In front of the Salzburg cathedral



After we had all met at the Mozart house again we returned to our bus, through the beautiful park of the Mirabel castle.









Even if  I missed some tourist attractions like the Salt Mines of Salzburg,  and many other things because of the awful heat, I would love to return there and spent some more time.

6 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I can understand why you would want to return. Salzburg is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Haha, you looking for air con when you are a tourist. Pity you didn't catch the funicular up to the top of the hill where there is a very nice restaurant. It was wet and cool when we were there.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Oh that blue, blue sky and fresh air, I'm sorry it was so unbearably hot for your visit. I'm surprised that all the Mozart chocolates weren't melted! Always good to have something to return to, it looks a beautiful place Salzburg - I should like to visit too!
Wren x

William Kendall said...

Beautiful takes!

Fun60 said...

It is years and years since i was in Salzburg but it doesn't seem to have changed very much. The old town is still very beautiful but a bit too hot when you visited.

betty-NZ said...

What a fabulous city! Your photos show it off quite well and makes me want to visit!


My Corner of the World

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive