Tuesday, January 12, 2010

EXCURSION TO VEERE IN THE NETHERLANDS

When I visited my friend in Holland we went one afternoon to Veere.

Veere is a a cute little town in the southwestern Netherlands, on Walcheren in the province of Zeeland and has only 1661 inhabitants. Today it's a nice place for tourists with many things to see, but when I was there with my friend now in the middle of the winter everything was closed and only a few shops remained open. But during spring and summertime and even at Christmas there are a lot of historical activities going on.

In the past, between 1541 and 1799, Veere was the staple port for the Kingdom of Scotland and the warehouse of Scottish wool.. In the 17th and 18th centuries, Veere was a prosperous trading city.

I just take you for a little walk around the city

The port which once had been very important for the Scottish wool trading, is now a leisure port for sailing boats.

The Campveerse Tower, built as a part of the Town defense around 1500, from the sixteenth century the tower was used as inn and coastal light. It is now one of the oldest surviving taverns in the Netherlands.

These green doors to the basement were built to allow lorries on rails coming directly from the port to the house and to upload the wool directly into the basement. The rails have been taken out from the street recently.

These old houses belonged mainly to the Scotts, the one with the green white stores is a museum today.

From far you can see the tower of the Town Hall of Veere

Town hall of Veere has a beautiful façade, the tower with the bells dates from the late sixteenth century. The carillon in the tower is said to be one of the prettiest in the Netherlands.

The façade

a few shops were open for "Sale"

and also one Café

We visited a wool shop

the little sheeps could be used for cushions, foot warmers or other things.

the old fountain where wool was washed, is now covered and not in use anymore

The Grote Kerk Veere, is from 1348. In 1811, Napoleon's soldiers used it as a military hospital. The church was also used as a home for beggars and later as barracks. The building still bears clear traces of an eventful past. I found it quite ugly !

romantic little streets

and very old little houses, this one dates from 1616. I love this little window !

little street not really made for big people !

and when we returned to the car we took this picture of ourselves in the mirror of the woolshop !

20 comments:

Thom said...

Glad those sheep didn't put you to sleep. LOL. I love that facade. What a cute town and the last picture is stunning. :)

Jientje said...

It's been a long time ago since I was there last. We used to go during Summer, and watch the boats on the lake. It's a very lovely place.

Loree said...

WHat a pretty little town.

LadyFi said...

It looks delightful - even in the middle of winter.

fickleinpink said...

thanks for sharing this beautiful place!

Come and visit my place if you have the time!
have a great day!

xoxo
~Fickle in Pink

Jossie said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Veere has a long and rich history. We had a holiday home close to Veere and can you believe I only have 1 photo of the town!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Gattina,
First of all the last picture is really charming, cute girls! :)
Thanks so much for introducing Veere to us!It's wonderful to travel with you for these charming places!
It's a good clue!
Maybe we can go there to visit this place with my son. It would be fabulous but I think we will need to stay there for the night, mainly because this awful weather.Cezar is working in Belgium during this week, again...He told me it's a mess in the roads, all about the snow.I'm worried , I hope he can come home driving during the day.
Adorable pictures!
Hugs
Léia

diane said...

I love these little historic towns. they are like living museums. The last shot is cute.

Erin said...

a good day gattina. lovely town but..where are all the people? i probably would have bought one of those little wool sheep :)
have a great week.

Tracie said...

I enjoyed my "walk" through town! :)

I love the picture of you at the end....and I definitely hope you bought some of those sheep!

soulbrush said...

what beauties,have only been to amsterdam, but being a south african, i love all things dutch. i see a little bit of snow in one photo. so wrap up warm. hugs from grey and chilly london

Melli said...

What a SWEET little town! The town hall is GORGEOUS! I love that tower! And the statue -- you know I love the statue - of the children playing ball in the park! How adorable! I would NEED a hat from the wool shop! .... I would NEED a ticket to Holland!

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Oh, that is such a wonderful town! Lovely barchitecture and streets - and ladies in the mirror :-D

I wish I could go around in all Holland and continue down in Europe from there, staying as long as I wanted at every place... *dreaming*

Dr.John said...

I just love your tours. You give a bit of history and a look at things as they are now. Thank you.

storyteller at Small Reflections said...

What a delightful place to reside ... surrounded by lots of history! I love all the wonderful views and am glad you opted to make this your World post today ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I regard as nice post. Expressly the designation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Lovely place indeed! Ana amazingly the sky wasn't always grey... ;)

Thanks for your comment at my new blog Blogtrotter Two, now at the Art Deco District in South Beach! Hope to read you there often! Have a great week ahead!!!

DianeCA said...

The architecture is very special, I like the roof tops and details very much. But I have to admit of all the photos, I like the last one the best!! Looks like fun to me!

Anonymous said...

We visited the town 'n few months ago and I also found it so pretty and quaint! I also took some nice pics and am actually today writing an article about it for a South African publication. I think som eof your pics are much nicer than mine!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love painting, writing, travelling and photography. My favorit models are my four cats which I observe with fun and humor. I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Follow by Email

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive