Monday, September 03, 2018

NORTHERN TOUR - AMSTERDAM

Here is a map of the whole tour and how it started.



When finally everybody from all continents had arrived in this nice hotel, (the Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam airport), we checked in and our bus took us then into Amsterdam, where we took a canal cruise, one of the best ways to see this amazing city and its sights. We also had a Pizza on board while we cruised through the canals.



Before boarding we went by the Rijksmuseum created by architect P.J.H. Cuypers and built in 1876, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam is the largest museum in the Netherlands. His collection includes many of the country's most famous works



Very impressive entrance hall, you can probably spend days in this museum.



Then we arrived at the canal and boarded our boat. Shortly after the pizzas arrived and we were all served.




East Indiaman Amsterdam

During its maiden voyage in 1749 the original Amsterdam was sailing on the North Sea when its rudder broke in a raging storm. The crew managed to reach the shore on the south coast of England in safety but the ship quickly sank into the mud and was never recovered.

In 1985, almost 200 years after the termination of the Dutch East India Company (VOC), the keel was laid for a new East Indiaman, based on the original Amsterdam. Over 400 volunteers helped to build the new Amsterdam which we admired today



We also saw the Nemo the largest science centre in the Netherlands. The 4 floors of NEMO are a stimulating scene. It has a quite strange shape, I thought !









We went through the canals admiring the old houses and would have loved to join the old and young people on their boats, where they had a lot of fun, celebrated or made a picnic or just drove around !
There was almost as many traffic on the canals than on the streets !

But at least there were no bikes


The worst enemy for pedestrians in Amsterdam !



*******
 
The next day on our way to Hamburg (Germany) we made a stop at a little farm and clogs producer and an old mill


The clogs were a little bit too big for me







I loved to stay in the stable with the cows and the hen and her chicken. The smell reminded me of my childhood.



Of course I also visited the shop besides the farm, but didn't find anything interesting. My travel pals were very interested in the clogs ! Some of them had never seen them and wondered how you could walk with these wooden "shoes".







The old wind mill was full of charm and I would love to live in such an old mill !



I took a photo of this map, to know where we were, but as I have difficulties to read a map, I just took it as souvenir.

Next stop will be Hamburg

.



5 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

wow. looks like an interesting place.
Coffee is on

Little Wandering Wren said...

I always wish I'd got to know Amsterdam a little better! You look gorgeous in your red frock, and I love the giant clogs!
Wren x

Su-sieee! Mac said...

With so much to see, and so little time to see it all, the canal ride sounded perfect. The Nemo museum almost looks like the Amsterdam ship. :-) I'm with you, I wouldn't mind living in a windmill.

Lea said...

Fantastic views of the city from the canal boat, and the wooden clogs are very interesting! But I think the visit with the cows and chickens would have been the highlight of the day for me - I do love animals!
Hope you are having a great week!

Lady Fi said...

Fabulous views.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive