Tuesday, September 25, 2018

NORTHERN COUNTRY TOUR - STOCKHOLM

Here is a map of the whole tour and how it started.

We left Copenhagen early morning and drove over 600 km up to Stockholm.  It was a nice trip through the stunning rural scenery of rolling fields, lakes and forests.  and of course we stopped for lunch and "comfort" stops as our guide said, which meant of course the toilet ! Ever since when I have to go I also say I go to my "comfort stop".



When we arrived in Stockholm, we went on a walking tour of the city center. When I heard that Stockholm is built on 14 beautiful islands connected by 57 bridges, I thought it's a pity that we have no time to do a sightseeing tour.

But we visited the old town called Gamla Stan, which is one of the largest and best preserved medieval city centers in Europe, and one of the favorite  attractions in Stockholm. This is where Stockholm was founded in 1252. The narrow winding cobblestone streets, with their buildings in so many different shades of gold, makes it quite special.




There were plenty of shops,  restaurants, cafés, bars etc for everybody's taste. It is a very nice area to walk around.



Of course we also saw the Royal Palace and most of our group waited for the change of guards, I didn't because I had seen this so many times even at home before our King Baudouin of Belgium decided not to have guards anymore because he pitied them standing in the cold and rain. But I was lucky I saw the guards arriving ! The actual King of Sweden is Carl Gustav XVI who married a German girl Sylvia Somerlath he met at the Olympic games in Munich in 1972.

And there are many other things to see



the beautiful Theatre



The Gustav Vasa Church






The German Church St. Gertrude



The National Museum



and of course the Nobel Museum



The habour of Stockholm



and a tram in green and blue colors which I had never seen.

I liked Stockholm very much, there are so many things to see and definitively in this short time we couldn't see all in detail. But at least I had an overlook.






more participants here

9 comments:

Jo said...

I'm glad you toured the medieval city. You describe and explain history so well. I will also think of that nature call as my comfort stop from now on!

Lady Fi said...

Stockholm, where I live, is lovely! What a shame you didn't have time for a boat tour.

Anonymous said...

Stockholm looks so good and I would love to see it but there comes the time in life when you realise that your bucket list needs to be trimmed.

Fun60 said...

I Stockholm very much when I visited last year. You took some excellent photos whilst you were there and maybe you will visit again to tour some of the islands.

William Kendall said...

There's a lot of amazing architecture there! I imagine the changing of the guards at the palace would have a few things in common with the ceremony here.

mamasmercantile said...

You took us on an amazing tour along with you. The architecture is stunning, what a great City.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I didn't know Stockholm is made up of islands. And, so many. Now you know for next time. :-)

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

beautiful rural areas.
Great buildings in the city.
Happy Thursday

Aditya Narayan Mohanty said...

Great capture.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive