Monday, August 15, 2011

OXFORD UK

I visited Oxford beginning August and stayed for 3 days at the Belliol College. It was a very interesting experience. Oxford is such a culturally rich city that it would be impossible to write everything down here. The University of Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world.

So instead of me doing copy and paste just read everything about Oxford here.

I visited Oxford with a Sightseeing bus, once sitting on the left side, once sitting on the right side to take pictures. The information about the buildings we saw we got with the help of headphones in all languages. So I just show you what I have seen and can give a few explanations, because honnestly when you get off the bus your head explodes !

Propositions for Tourist. I prefered to choose the Bus and sit on top.

Balliol College, the college where I stayed.

Just in front of the college on Broad street. As you can see bicycles are nearly as much used as in Amsterdam !

on the way to Balliol College. The bicycles leaning against the fence of a cemetary. I had never seen that.

The High Street where all the shops are

Carfax Tower is all that remains of the 13th century St Martin's Church and is now owned by the Oxford City Council. It was the official City Church of Oxford, the main part of the church was demolished to make more room for traffic in the area. In 1896, the City Church was moved to All Saints Church in the High Street.

The Radcliffe Camera is a building designed by James Gibbs in the English Palladian style and built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliffe Science Library. It has head sculptures all around, but apparently nobody knows exactly who they are. Maybe Roman emperors.

The Christ Church Cathedral. Oxford is unique in combining a college chapel and a cathedral in one foundation. Originally the Priory Church of St Frideswide, the building was extended and incorporated into the structure of the Cardinal's College shortly before its refounding as Christ Church in 1546, since when it has functioned as the cathedral of the Diocese of Oxford. It was also home to the real Alice of Alice in Wonderland (I wrote about it here)

Ashmolean Museum

Oxford City Hall

Can't remember what it was

The bridge is often referred to as the Bridge of Sighs because of its supposed similarity to the famous Bridge of Sighs in Venice. However, Hertford Bridge was never intended to be a replica of the Venetian bridge.

Martyrs Memorial

Museum of Natural History

St. Mary's and Magdalene's Church

The Randolph Hotel where Inspector Morse of the TV series used to have his drinks while he mulled over the committed crimes.

In this little garage William Morris started to established the Morris Motor Company to mass produce cars in Cowley, on the south-eastern edge of the city. By the early 1970s over 20,000 people worked in Cowley at the huge Morris Motors.

boats to rent for punting

And below all the beautiful different styles of architecture I have seen.

More participants here

13 comments:

Jo said...

Oh my Gattina, this post is so interesting. I never visited Oxford when in the UK but next time I will drag my husband to stay over there like you did, Every photo is beautiful, the buildings are so old and gracious and many bicycles are fascinating. Have a great day my friend (are you getting back to normal after you after-holiday blues?) Jo

claudie said...

So many historical buildings in different style! Love the bridge just before reading I was thinking to the one of Venice! Sounds a marvelous town for students! And the college makes me thing to Harry Potter film! This be the same atmosphere I found in the Da Vinci Code ! Exciting!

eileeninmd said...

What a wonderful place to visit, Gattina. I just love all the buildings. I would assume to college students use the bicycles alot. Your photos are awesome, thanks for sharing your world.

Maribeth said...

Oh, so beautiful! I need to go back. I was there, years ago and it was a quick one afternoon stop. I see there are many things I need to go and see specifically!

Carver said...

Fascinating post about Oxford and I enjoyed your photographs very much. The last time I was there was in the mid 1970s so this brought back memories.

Reader Wil said...

Excellent post about Oxford, Gattina! There is so much to see and to hear. Did you also see "the Other Place"?( Cambridge?)
Thanks for your visit and comment. It's hard to miss your grandson, I know what you mean. I see my three Australian grandchildren once in the two years now. They were here last year and next year I'll see them hopefully again.

Reader Wil said...

http://virtua-gallery.com/about/

Gattina, this is the link with Klaus's blog. His photos are superb!!

H said...

What a wonderful colection of buildings and architecture. The place drips with history!

Did you go punting on the river?

Sukhmandir Kaur said...

Such beautiful architecture which has stood for centruies is just breathtaking.

MaR said...

Great tour!! your trips are very artistically reported!

diane b said...

Thanks for the wonderful tour of Oxford. I have never been there only Cambridge. It looks like you got a good dose of culture. The bicycles are amazing and all the ancient architecture is fascinating. You sure had an interesting tour.

Oman said...

very informative post. one of the best schools i know.

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Gattina,
I'm delighted by your pictures. I'm visiting your Cities and Countries blogroll, enjoying a lot your adventures!
Next Thursday, we are going to UK to visit Oxford and I'm taking notes here using your sightseeing hints.Thanks so much for sharing!
We want to visit the English lavender fields as well. Have you visited there? I couldn't find the title post here.
Bisous
Léia

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive