Monday, June 08, 2009

MARRAKECH MARKET AND SOUKS

For 8 days I did a roundtrip through the south of Morocco. Our first and last day we spent in Marrakech.(If you want to know more about Marrakech click here) The town is known as the "Red City", and is an important and former imperial city in Morocco near the foothills of the snow-capped Atlas Mountains. It has the largest traditional market (souk) in Morocco and also has one of the busiest squares in Africa and the Djemaa el Fna. The square bustles with acrobats, story-tellers, water sellers, dancers, and musicians, snake charmers, and many others. The place is also full of stalls with delicious oranges etc.

A variety of merchants get on your nerves by offering all kind of stuff from jewelry to daggers. You really have to become impolite to make them understand that you don't want to buy, and even that sometimes doesn't help and the guy would glue on you until you hide amongst your group or in one of the cafés around the place.

They also don't like at all that you take pictures and can get quite aggressive. Apparently taking a picture of a person also takes his soul and that's the reason why they don't want to be photographed. Curiously most of them suddenly forget about saving their soul if you give a little tip.

Photobucket

The entrance to Marrakech

Photobucket

an overlook of the huge place

Photobucket

Oranges everywhere. The fresh juice was just delicious.

Photobucket

These are 3 water carrier who have bells around their waists. I couldn't get closer otherwise they would have bothered our whole group.

Photobucket

There were also two men with monkeys. They seemed to be well treated, but I don't like to watch such shows.

Photobucket

Photobucket

and all what your heart wants for your children ! Of course you have to haggle and very hard, because they know that tourists are not used to that and make sometimes really fancifull prices ! I wanted to buy a little ceramic bowl, the price he gave me was 10 € for one. At the end I got two for 8 !

The best thing is to go under the half of the price and then meet in the middle. If you go away and he doesn't run behind you that means the price is OK. Honnestly I would do the same if I lived there, if tourists are so stupid.

Photobucket

a typical taxi

Photobucket

He tries to convince the 3 women to buy something

Photobucket

dried fruits

Photobucket

and fish ! I think far away from the sea and nearly in the middle of the desert it's not really something to eat, at least not for our pampered stomacs.

From the huge place little streets led into the souks. I take you around for a little walk.

Photobucket

it was awful ! too many tourists at once

Photobucket

Instead of looking at the shops I prefered looking into the little side streets

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really don't know what kind of vegetable that is !

Photobucket

going home from shopping

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Behind this door can be a real palace. People don't worry so much about outside, but when you get the chance to look inside through an open door, you will see beautiful carpets, carved furniture, and you think you are dreaming !

Photobucket

People of my group with a tiny old little woman who wanted to sell us bracelets. I gave her a coin because I had taken this picture.

Photobucket

One of the typical butcheries, where the meat is still "bio"

Photobucket

but the guy got really angry because I had taken a picture !

Photobucket

Photobucket

moving

Photobucket

going home for lunch ?

Photobucket

cars are completely useless in these tiny streets so most used are motorbikes or scooters. You have to be very careful when you walk ! They drive like crazy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

old and new

Photobucket

I wonder what is behind this door ?

Photobucket

a beauty shop

Photobucket

and beautiful artwork.

14 comments:

BLS said...

Great pictures and a great tour of the market and the souks. It looks like great fun but I wouldn't think the taxi would be.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I love the look of the souks and little side streets, like you, I'd be interested in what's down those.

Thank for the tour of the markets, Gattina. Pity I was too far away to haggle!

Wolynski said...

Wow, beautiful photos of Marrakesh - what a wonderful trip you had. You have to tip everyone to take a photo? That can get expensive.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What great pictures. What a greata market. I have never been to such a place. I love the way all the bright colors look among country so old.

Canarybird said...

Oh what wonderful photos. I have always wanted to go to Marrakech and it's not so far away from where I live now. I've been through the souks in Algiers years ago but would love to see what you have shown us in this posting. Thanks for taking those photos, even with difficulty! I was also in Nigeria years ago where I had the same reaction to taking photos. People thought you were stealing their soul. I guess I should have tried offering money!

Rayne said...

Wow! Beautiful photos. Who knew that people still feared having their photo taken?
I loved the photos of the side streets and alleys. So mysterious and so begging to be explored.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Now this is what I call an adventure. Fabulous virtual tour guide.

erin said...

omg...what a fabulous tour through marrakech market...i loved it...loved it!

and your photographs...wonderful!

so are you getting excited about your upcoming trip to italy? it should be a lovely time to relax and take in the wonderful atmosphere.

take care.

MaR said...

It seems like a wonderful place to visit...shortly and with a group. Love the colorful atmosphere, and what a different world it seems!

Arija said...

A great trip for you full of new and interesting sights. I was surprised at the spaceousness of the market. Photographing in middle eastern countriea can become quite dangerous, we had children throwing stones at us because we photographed their goats!

diane b said...

What a fascinating trip you had. Thanks for taking me too. It is such an ancient interesting place with its little side streets and market. Shame you can't take photos easily. Lovely colours in your pics.

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Lovely to see Marrakech again. I'm sure you had a great time as the city is absolutely stunning!! Wonderful pictures!!

Meanwhile Blogtrotter (not me, I’m stuck here ;)) is profiting from the holidays in Lisbon this week and has a tour of Lake Galve, one of the beautiful lakes near Trakai, to show you! Hope you enjoy and have a great week!

amanda said...

When I saw that last one I was just thinking I wish there was more! I cannot wait to see some of your future posts, these were great!

claudie said...

It is an other world! Would like to visit one of those palace behind the entry!!! Pauvre petits singes! Enfin c'est le Maroc! Dans les prisons du roi ce sont des hommes qui doivent être malheureux!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive