Monday, August 22, 2011

THE BALLIOL COLLEGE IN OXFORD

While I was visiting Oxford I stayed in the Balliol College (all about its history here) During the summer holidays, the College rents rooms to guests. I had never stayed in a student's room and in such a famous College that of course I prefered to sleep there instead of an ordinary hotel room. And indeed it was a wonderful experience and such a beautiful place !

The College was founded in about 1263 by John I de Balliol under the guidance of the Bishop of Durham. After his death in 1268, his widow, Dervorguilla of Galloway, made arrangements to ensure the permanence of the college. She provided capital and, in 1282, formulated the college statutes, documents that survive to this day.

The front of the College and the entrance

the other side of the entrance

my room was simple but had everything I needed, even Internet connection

The buildings all around were just beautiful

A little bar called "Buttery" (I had never heard this word) provided tables, seats and banks to rest and you could have a drink there. Inside at the wall were hanging old pictures of ex students.

The Park was perfectly entertained and was really very beautiful

entrance to the Fellows' Garden

door in the dining hall

The founders, the Balliol couple

paintings of celebritieswho studied here hanging in the dining hall

the dining hall empty

and in the morning when a very good breakfast buffet was served

My blogfriend Janice who lives in Reading came over one day to visit me and we had a great time together.

I have been told that parts of Harry Potter movies were filmed in this room.

The church

The Altar

The organ

Beautiful stained windows

rather strange bible support

If ever you intent to visit Oxford, I can only recommend to stay in a College rather than in a Hotel. There was only one little inconvinience, my room was on the 5th floor without lift and there was nobody to carry my suitcase up there ! But this was really nothing compared to the beautiful place where I stayed.

If ever you want to read about my arrival at the College it's here

More participantshere

7 comments:

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Oxford is absolutely stunning! And sunny for you; great lucky girl... ;)

The present post at Blogtrotter Two shows two wonders in Corsica: the views from Le Goeland Hotel room 15 and the Bocche di Bonifacio! Enjoy and have a wonderful week ahead!

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots of Oxford! Just classic.

And yes, I think My World will continue but under a new name and with a new URL.

Gracie said...

You can feel history among those walls, isn't it? I'd like to visit a place like this all alone, wandering through its many rooms and halls and stairs..... stare at those old faces on the walls and aski them how many things they have witnessed.... and smell the old woods... such a treat!
Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

SandyCarlson said...

This place shakes up my concept of time! Wow.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for your very beautiful photos. Oxford is beautiful. I know that in Harry Potter's movies the library of one of the colleges was used. I even showed some photos in one of my posts this year. Staying at one of these colleges is something I also should like to do.
Thanks for your visit. I have the musical of Oliver on a videotape and I used it often for my classes.

jabblog said...

You should try Cambridge next time;-)

Trotter said...

Back here to say that I've been rediscovering Istanbul with you... I'm traveling there today once again, but I left some nice views of Corsica at Blogtrotter Two for you to enjoy!!
Have a great time!!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive