Monday, May 02, 2011

ST. TROPEZ, FRENCH RIVIERA

To go to St. Tropez you have to go early because it seemed to me that everybody had the same idea during these Easter holidays and it was on a Thursday !

This once little Fisher town has become a place of pilgrimage, since Brigitte Bardot discovered it in 1956 and bought a house there called "La Madrague". It is located on the French Riviera, and it is still known today for its famous and extremely wealthy summertime guests. It has been dubbed the playground to jetsetters, fashion models, and millionaires. (You can read more about this here).

Now you don't see so many famous people anymore because too many "normal" people are able to go there too and therefore the town is so packed that it is a miracle that it hasn't cracked yet. Everybody wants to come here it's like going to Hollywood at least once in your life. In high season it must be awful !

We arrived in St. Tropez

A miracle, we found a parking space right away

First look on the port and the yacht habour, yachts sized from middle, to big to floating hotels !

I had to show that I owned one

like this.

just in front of the habour are cafés and restaurants

Le Senequier is the most famous one and if you a lucky you can even see famous actors or models there. The café is a family business, already in its third generation. In the season, more than twenty waiters serve drinks and canapes in three shifts. Sitting in the café, one can watch the world go by: people having lunch on exclusive yachts, elegant blonds going about their daily shopping rituals and wives of American millionaires strolling along the pavement.

Lots of artists are exposing their paintings for sale. I am only posing.

The tower was once part of the town wall

A part of it became a restaurant

along the seaside is still a part of the wall

very old anchors laying at the beach

beautiful view on the sea.

The ancient Bailly de Suffren castle

this memorial plaque was placed there in 1830

I do my photographers duties

of the small streets full of boutiques and little shops

very narrow little streets,

and romantic looking places

A nicely decorated boutique.

The prices were nice too. But we also saw clothes to reasonable prices. At least you can say "I bought this blouse in St. Tropez". I bought a key ring.

on this beautiful and shady place I saw some very strange tree trunks

It looks as if they have a bosom. But as there are so many more or less covered bosoms to see in St. Tropez it's probably normal that trees have one too. Conclusion, I was happy to have been there once, but I would certainly never spend my holidays there or nearby ! If you want to know more about St. Tropez it's here in Wikipedia

More participants here

13 comments:

My name is Riet said...

Beautiful photo's of St Tropez. Brings back memories. You must have had a great time

Rcel said...

I love the pictures! It's like touring with you on that beautiful place because of these lovely captures you shared! Thanks!


I have Finally Spring in my World entry at my blog. Hope you can visit me as well! :)

EG CameraGirl said...

It looks like such a charming picturesque town. It's such a pity it's over-run by tourists but I guess everyone wants to share in its beauty.

Sylvia K said...

Another terrific tour you've taken us on, Gattina! What fun!! Your photos are superb as always -- next best thing to being there! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

It looks like a charming place to go. Sounds like it gets overrun quite a bit in season.

Anonymous said...

Looks deliciously sunny. I adore those narrow streets and pretty houses!

A Lady's Life said...

lovely views. Thats called enjoyment:)

diane b said...

You were living it up posh there. I can understand your conclusion. Nice to visit but not for a relaxing holiday. I love the colours of the buildings and how they are all stuck together. I also love those narrow winding alleys. It is romantic.

Loree said...

It does look very charming but if it's too corwded it would probably get on my nerves. BTW, nice to know you have a yacht. Maybe we can have a Bloggers party on it one day ;) LOL

Kay L. Davies said...

Well, now that you've been there, and taken so many photos, I don't have to bother!
A wonderful post, my dear friend, and you look so pretty in that turquoise blue color.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Maribeth said...

Love the pictures!

Trotter said...

Oh, oh, so you were playing BB 55 years later... ;)
It's a charming place anyhow...

Blogtrotter Two is still waiting for you in Amsterdam... Enjoy and have a superb weekend!!

claudie said...

You looks beautiful, Gattina in blue in the St Trop streets! So nice and funny time we had there!!! I put Saint Trop on my desk!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive