Tuesday, July 07, 2015

TRAM MUSEUM OF THUIN

 July 7, 2015

We made an excursion to the tram museum in Thuin. 

The Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre, is a museum housing thirty tramcars which once ran for the SNCV (National Light Railway Company). It houses a steam engine from 1888 and the oldest completely electric tramcar, built in Belgium in 1901. A rural tram route is operated by enthusiastic volunteers, using vehicles which retrace the history of the world's larges tram network.



The tram museum



Trams of the 70th



and older once



I suppose this wagon was for luggages






I still remember this tram I took beginning the 60th to go to school. Only in Brussels they were yellow.




The seats are in wood



A driver cabin











views from out of the tram

We made a trip through the streets of Thuin, across a bridge over the river Sambre and through the countryside which offered unique views you couldn't see from a car.

We enjoyed our trip in these old trams very much. For me it was a trip into the past !



Today in Brussels the trams look like this !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful place.

Fun60 said...

I think trams are such a great way to travel. Love it when I visit a city that still uses them.

Loree said...

My son would love the tram museum. He said he would like to ride in the new tram. I prefer the vintage ones :)

GreenComotion said...

What a great place to visit and how lucky we are to see these lovely photos of trams.
Thanks, Gattina!
Oh - the new trams of Brussels look very modern and comfortable.
Have a Wonderful Day!
Peace :)

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

What a delightful place, to be able to visit!

Tessa

Katharine A said...

Another museum to add to my list of museums to visit. I need to visit other countries and catch up with museums abroad. The trams look amazing and well cared for. So many transport museums are cared for and well loved by volunteers/

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive