Tuesday, February 14, 2012

THE DOMAIN OF HUIZINGEN IN WINTER

Click on logo to join other participants

Last week I went with a friend for a walk through the Domain of Huizingen which is located a little outside of Brussels. I had been there already in 2009, so if you want to know a bit more I wrote about it here Domain of Huizingen in spring.

It was a very cold day - 7 °C (19 F), but warmly dressed it was really worthwhile because the park looked beautiful in its winter dress.

The castle which today is a restaurant.

the lake where usually you can rent little boats was frozen and covered with snow

We were the only once in the whole park which is enormous !

the little river which crosses the park was frozen

as it had been so warm in January, tulips had tried to come out and now they sit in snow and ice.

The employes who take care of the animals had made a hole for the swans to swim

The roots of this tree are growing outside which looks rather strange

The house of the warden

with ducks walking around

The administration buildings.

14 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

What a beautiful place and castle.

LadyFi said...

What beautiful buildings! And spring is on its way if the tulip buds are telling the truth...

Jeannette StG said...

I love the castle, Gattina -it looks so regal! Wow, everything is frozen over! Keep warm:)

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what a lovely setting for a restaurant. The grounds are beautiful and I love the swans and ducks. So nice to see spring is coming soon. Great captures, have a wonderful day.

Stewart M said...

Hi there - they really don’t build places like that anymore, do they!

Shame really.

Stewart M - Australia

Lea's Menagerie said...

Beautiful, but cold!
What are those wooden structures on the left side of a couple of photos? (photos one and two).
I recognize those funny trees with the roots outside - They are called bald cypress here in the USA. The roots are called 'knees' - think of a tree sitting down in a bathtub with its bony knees sticking up!
The frozen water is so pretty! I am glad someone cut a hole in the ice for the swans.
We have had several days of freezing weather followed by heavy rain. I just glad the temperatures rose enough yesterday so that we got rain instead of sleet or snow.
Have a great week!
Lea

Indrani said...

Your world is beautiful. I hope to see it some day.

Unknown said...

What a great place to visit!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Loree said...

Absolutely beautiful. Those tree roots sure look strange. Great photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

The castle and grounds are lovely. I'm glad is wasn't too cold for you, your friend or your camera.

Lea's Menagerie said...

I followed your link to the Spring visit. Very pretty and interesting!
Thanks for your answer to my question - Boy Scouts! I imagine that they have a lot of fun there. Looks like a great place for the whole family to visit.
Lea

Kay L. Davies said...

It does look lovely in its winter dress. I love the frozen waterfall.
Beautiful photos, my friend!
K

minor said...

Beautiful landscapes in Belgium. The castle which is used as a restraunt is very beautiful.

Lifecruiser Travel said...

Really lovely, both the architecture and the park - and your "wintery" photos. I can imagine that this is a place to come back to many times.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive