Tuesday, March 03, 2015

LASCAUX CAVE EXPOSITION IN BRUSSELS

February 3, 2015

I had heard that there was the famous Lascaux Caves exhibition at the Cinquantenaire in Brussels, after having been in Chicago, Houston, and Montreal. Of course I didn't want to miss that and went with a friend to see the exhibition. It was absolutely great and very interesting. The caves were discovered by 2 teenagers in 1940. You can read more about the caves here.

Containing reproductions of paintings engraved 20.000 years ago, the cave of Lascaux is considered to be one of the most remarkable examples of Paleolithic cave art known to mankind but their meaning remains obscure.

Men, known as Cro-Magnons, similar to us in every way except for their culture, turned a little cave in Southwest France into a prehistoric sanctuary.



The Cinquantenaire in Brussels where the Exhibition takes place



The entrance









The paintings prove that our ancestors of 20.000 ago were real artists, had already color pigments and tools.



They also didn't look as we had learned at school, they looked as we do today. 



This is a woman who put face painting on her son. There were also black people and Asiatic looking people, but I couldn't take a picture, photographing was not allowed but I did it without flash.



This is a skeleton of a tiger found in the Ardennes in Belgium. It was huge, our today's tigers would look like house cats against them.



The rhinoceros skelteon was also much bigger than our rhinoceros today



A mammoth baby



and an enormous elk skeleton found in Ireland.

While we humans are getting taller from generation to generation, it seemed to me that the animals today are smaller.

After Brussels the exhibition will be shown in Paris, Geneva, Seoul, Tokyo and  Fukuoka (Japan).

11 comments:

D.Nambiar said...

Paleolithic? Seeing how precise the images were, I thought that kind of art was of the Neolithic age. That is awesome artwork.

I'm sure that was a very enlightening visit into the past.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating exhibition!

Linens and Royals said...

Amazing exhibition. Are the real caves open to the public? I see the exhibition is not coming here-too far and too expensive for most exhibitions. We do have our own cave paintings but they are too difficult to get to.

Janet said...

Wow! I love the "primitive" art, and that elk is something else!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Gattina - I'm so pleased you were able to get to see the exhibition .. it looks to be amazing ... wonderful .. cheers Hilary

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Don't you just love museums I do and that one looks well woth the visit

carol l mckenna said...

What a wonderful experience for you and great shots! I am always fascinated by the Lascaux Care drawings!

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Mari said...

Wow what a great find. Thank you fir sharing this, if I was only nearby, I would have gone there now. This is excitingly interesting.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Thanks for sharing your photos. I'd love to see the exhibit in person. I hope it makes it over to Northern California.
Take 25 to Hollister

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what an amazing exhibit! I would love to see this myself.. Thanks for sharing, enjoy your day!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

How amazing! I had no idea. Would love to see this exhibit. Thank you, definitely my best new thing to learn today!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive