Tuesday, August 29, 2017

DRUMCLIFFE - GALWAY IRELAND


Expat tours

If you do a 7 day tour around a country of course you can't see everything in details. It just gives you an overview of things to see or to do if you want to come back later.

When we stopped at Drumcliffe, which is set against the striking backdrop of the Benbulben Mountains, I didn't really understand why we stopped here ! The reason was because here was the final resting place of  W.B.Yeates (1865–1939), who is buried in the graveyard of St. Columba's Church of Ireland church. Although Yeats died in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France in January 1939, his remains were brought home to Ireland by the Irish Naval Service and re-interred at Drumcliff in 1948 in the presence of a large number of local people and dignitaries which included the Minister for External Affairs, Seán MacBride, who represented the Government.



His grave is marked with a simple headstone with the inscription, "cast a cold eye on life, on death, horseman, pass by." This was Yeats' self penned epitaph together with the instructions that the grave consist of "no marble, no conventional phrase". The graveyard also contains a high cross and nearby is the site of a 6th Century Columbian monastery. I had never heard about this poet but to my excuse I am not a poetry fan. We walked through the graves, I admired the stones  and found strange names, even the name of my girlfriend in France.(but she is still alive)



St Columba's Church on the graveyard.



We then made a break in the Coffee and craftshop on site offering homebaking and quality crafts.




Instead of going to church I preferred to visit the Art Gallery. There were very nice pieces exposed, mostly rapids.

And then this short visit was over and we continued our way.


**********

GALWAY

When we arrived in Galway, we were lucky, the sun was shining and the city had such cheerful vibes !

Even from the bus I saw brightly painted pubs heave with live music, and restaurants and cafes with front-row seats for observing buskers and street theatre. Remnants of the medieval town walls lie between shops selling handcrafted Claddagh rings, books and musical instruments, bridges arch over the salmon-stuffed River Corrib, and a long promenade leads to the seaside suburb of Salthill, on Galway Bay, the source of the area's famous oysters.

Despite its rich history, the city buzzes with a contemporary vibe, thanks in part to students, who make up a quarter of the population. Its energy and creativity have seen it designated the European Capital of Culture in 2020.



The streets are full




of young and old







preparing for a street concert




lots of shops



and "beauty" offers



If you need a job .....






The Lynchs Castle I had no time to go inside, but it's certainly worthwhile to see.



and sitting on the terrace of this pub



I had a great view of all the people enjoying the sunshine !

What a lovely town !

8 comments:

Fun60 said...

Galway seems to be buzzing, a fun place to visit. Good that the sun was shining.

Linens and Royals said...

W.B Yeats is one of my favourite poets and my house is named Innisfree after his poem 'Lake Isle of Innisfree' because I live on the edge of a lake but sadly not in Ireland. I also wear a Claddagh ring because I have always loved them.You did some wonderful sightseeing on your trip.

Anonymous said...

What a surprising place. If you want a lively city or town, build a university. I think it is why Cologne feels so alive and happening.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful tour of the place.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and photos of Ireland and Yates and Galway ~ I loved Ireland and Galway was a fun musical city ~ ^_^ ~ thanks,

(A ShutterBug Explores)

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots - and no rain!

Kay L. Davies said...

Your photos are wonderful, Gattina. I have yet to visit Ireland, but I'm hoping that one day...maybe...well, we'll see. My Irish friend Annie comes to Canada from time to time and maybe I can catch her in Vancouver, BC, one day.
Meanwhile, I will have to content with taking another look at your photos...you certainly manage to pack a lot of travel into a short time. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could visit you again? Let's hope so.
Love, Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

A University always adds vibrancy to a city -- I guess that must be the same the world over. Lovely photos and a beautiful city.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive